- Founded 1979 by Jerry Falwell.
- Called itself ecumentical, but majority of it's leaders were fundamentalist Protestants.
- Aggressive voter registration, direct mail appeals.
- Agenda summed up in a call to "return America to moral sanity."
- Encouraged Reagan's economic, foreign, and national defense goals.
- Regan "lost interest" in their social agenda, all Jerry Falwell's candidates failed in Virginia in 1985, creationaism and public school prayer litigation and campaigns were failing. (Hutchison 231)
- Falwell founded the "Liberty Federation" in 1986, gave orders to "wind down" the Moral majority.
- Pat Robertson failed in his 1988 election bid, a "serious blow" to the far-right purposes and agenda.
The Last Temptation of Christ was produced during the heyday of the Moral Majority. It was released the year after Falwell created the Liberty Federation. Tho ugh the morality-craze was on its way out, the conservatives still had some witch-hunting guff left in them, or so Falwell believed. A wolf is most dangerous when it's cornered.